Friday, September 5, 2008

Problem Solving doesn't work on kids.

I'm tutoring my neighbour's kid Collin for about 6 months now. He's in 5th grade. Absolutely no idea what 5th grade compare to our standard national school cause he studies in an Internationl School. It wasn't easy. He loves to talk. ignore when I tried to explain question solution, play games and easily distracted by food. I tried from being stict to finish up your work then only play to telling him to shut up and do ur work. I even tried telling him "Do you know how adults solve problem?" I actually showed him my notes on Critical Thinking Tutorial 5 , title Solving Problems. He was more interested in the picture instead of the content. Typical small boy.

Piece of advice, dun bother none of this works for kids his age.
It took me awhile before figuring out a way to teach him focus.
Since he like taking picture I thought I'd played a game with him.

The rule of the game is simple.
If he manage to finish up his work within the tim
e frame he gets to show his parents my pathetic picture else I'll show my friends his picture.

Work like a charm.

No comments: